Translate

Thursday, May 24, 2012

After 10 years: Back to Peru

My sister and I came to the United States in February of 1997. Settling into our new lives took some time: in learning a new language, a new culture, making new friends. When I arrived I started high school right away. A few years later I entered college; graduated; found a job; found love. Became comfortable with my life, and kept delaying my return.
Beacuse of my cousin's wedding my family and I decided to travel back for 3 weeks in September of 2008, to attend the wedding of course, visit family, and travel Peru.

Presidential Palace in the background
My first impression of a modern Lima was the remodeled Jorge Chavez International Airport [LIM]. The new terminal is bigger than the original, covered with glass panes, has a big parking lot. However of the remodeling covers the airport and some of the districts around the center of Lima (el Centro).


How does one define Lima? Well depends, Lima is divided into different districts. The city is moving into the moden era yet it is still rooted in colonial history (architecture wise).

 El Centro, is best defined perhaps by one of its most iconic squares: La Plaza Mayor, or La Plaza de Armas. The colonial style appears in all the buildings in the plaza, and this style is recurrent throughout most of the city. From the Presidential Palace to the Cathedral. This is because these were built by the Spanish conquistadors and royalty. The building have remain the same since them and little has changed.
 
Plaza Mayor or Plaza de Armas, Lima


The other districts are: North Lima, South Lima, East Lima, and el Callao.
During this trip we had limited visits to these districts as we spent most of our time with my family [in North Lima - in San Martin de Porres], and some time in Cuzco.

No comments:

Post a Comment