Translate

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Back to London: The main event


Me at the Olympic Park

I was lucky enough to get tickets for 2 Olympic events: Men's indoor volleyball, and women's diving. I have to say that all these events were organized flawlessly, or at least that's how it felt to me and to other people, such an amazing job was managed by London to set these events right. The traffic never felt too congested to my NY standards (busy place NY). All the stations, and roads were clearly marked; thousands of volunteers were more than helpful to guide you anywhere you needed to go (to the venues as well as any other landmarks, roads, etc.). The free Oyster pass (transportation ticket) for event ticket holders helped out as well, as it worked for all mediums of transportation. I stayed at an apartment not too far from the Olympic Park (30 minutes away), so I was not too worried about the traffic or directions.             

 
 
 
My first event was the men's indoor volley ball quarter final match by USA vs. BRZ. The venue was at Earl's Court which is West of London. From my apartment it took me about 1.5 hours, and I had to do a few transfers. The security line at the venue was fast and friendly, it just took me 5 minutes to enter to the venue. Since I arrived about an 1.5 hour earlier I did some souvenir shopping and peaked at the previous match ARG vs POL. The polish people were really pumped and I believe they made up about 80% of the audience during that game.
After the game I decided walk around. On my way down from the 4th level to the main level I was pointed out to the exit by an usher (that was a mistake, perhaps he though I was on my way out from the previous game). Before exiting through the doors though, I had ask another person that I was suppose to the at the next game, and this person assured me that I had to go through the main entrance to go in again. I had to make my way from the back exit to the front entrance which took about 30 minutes because of the big crowd exiting the venue at that time. So I got into the security line again, went to the entrance and hoped I would be OK to enter again. Since my ticket was previously scanned it was voided after entrance, and I had to plead and convince the attendant at the front doors that it was not my fault and I was misguided. Eventually she took pity on me and let me in. Thank God.
Even though the US team lost, the game was amazing. To feel every one's excitement about the game was quite a unique experience, specially since it was in such a great scale. The venue was packed and everyone was chanting, and roaring, and doing the wave. After my match I was able to stay for the GBR vs ITL game. I watched 3 games for the price of 1. Not a bad deal.
 

 
My last event in London was the Women's 3 Meter diving finals at the Aquatic Center. In this particular day the tube stations were crowded at the last stop [Stratford Station]. Instead we had to get off at West Ham station and walk 25 minutes to the park. This was the best course, as going into Stratford would have cause various delays. Along the whole 25 minute route were many volunteers encouraging us and welcoming us closer into the park. It felt like we were in a race, and people were cheering for us. "Only 10 more minutes to the park;" "Welcome, and I hope you have a great time;" "Enjoy the games." And Enjoyed we did. I attended with my friend Ryan as I had an extra ticket for this event.
 
 
While in the park, Ryan and I were admiring the stadium, the viewing tower, the aquatic center, and the 2 of the biggest McDonald's restaurants London had to offer. Ryan seemed very impressed and fascinated by that fact.
 

 
 
 
Before going into the Aquatic Center I decided to get a beer from an official Heineken ambulant vendor. The venue is a very modern looking structure, resembling a wave, or a manta ray swimming through the park. Since our seats were all the way at the top of the center we had to walk up about 8 flights of stairs. Although the view was far from our seats we had a great time and could admire the talents of the finalists. After an hour or so of competition the winners were named. China took home the Gold and Silver Medal, followed by Mexico taking the bronze medal.
I have to admit that when I bought the tickets, I thought these were for the men's diving finals. So when I saw that it was the women's finals on the schedule of events instead I was a bit disappointed (I thought I was going to see guys in speedos). I did have a great time at this women's finals however. Their talent and grace is to be commended.


 
After the event was over Ryan and I went out to grab something to eat. We ended up eating fish and chips as the line to McDonald's was extremely long. We took a seat in the park's food court tables and talked about our week, catching up on what we have been up to since I last saw him 10 years ago. During this time extremely loud roars and cheers came from the Olympic Stadium, a few feet away from us. One of these waves of thundering cheers came when Usein Bolt won the gold medal in the 200M race breaking the previous Olympic record he had set in 2008.
 
As the night settled in the viewing tower and the stadium itself became alive, by its lights, by its energy. It was a wonderful sight to admire. After eating we made our way home and said goodbye to one another. I went back to the apartment and started packing as the next day I was on my way to Barcelona.
 

 
These games were fantastic, and I had a great time being a part of this historic event (The 30th Olympiads). I will never forget my time in London.
 
 
 
I will return again to see the transformation of the area around the Olympic park, as it will be converted into living areas, parks, museums.
I will come back to visit the old sights, and old friends.
Perhaps I'll be back in another 10 years, but hopefully sooner. Meanwhile I'll do my sharing of travels through Europe. I hear Gran Canaria and Mallorca are lovely in the summer...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment